1 May 2012

GI Update

Prof Jennie Brand-Miller answers your questions.  

Jennie
Prof Jennie Brand-Miller

Why Sheri can't stop talking about how low GI changed her life ...
I am always delighted when people take the time to tell me about their GI success stories. As I say when I reply to them: ‘it really makes my day’. Choosing low GI carbs, the ones that produce only small fluctuations in your blood glucose and insulin levels, can help you feel fuller for longer and increase your energy levels, making weight loss achievable and sustainable. This month in GI Update, I am sharing Sheri’s story with GI News readers with her kind permission.

‘I tried for years to lose weight but I just kept gaining until I heard about low GI. I changed my eating habits a little over 6 months ago, and now I can't stop talking about how low GI changed my life! Since I started eating healthier and cleaner and having five small meals a day instead of three large meals, I feel like I've gotten my life back. Here are just some of the changes I’ve noticed.

  • I no longer have migraines. I went from suffering with 2–3 migraines a week to only having the occasional migraine.
  • My menstrual cramps have been greatly reduced.
  • I am finally able to sleep all through the night.
  • I’m happier and have more energy.
I could go on, but you get the idea. I feel indebted to you all for providing me with information about Low GI because I truly believe it has given me back my life. I’m 27-years-old and for so long I felt the way I imagine people in their sixties feel. I finally feel young and healthy and it’s wonderful.

I’ve lost 20 pounds and lots of inches. In January I started training for a 5K and now I work out every day for nearly an hour. Before I started eating the low GI way, I never would have had enough energy to run, lift weights, and do Pilates. Thank you!’

And thank you Sheri for sharing your story.

New GI values from SUGiRS.  
Low GI Green Island Rice Rice is the most important staple food in Mauritius – a country with the world’s second highest incidence of diabetes. Since 1987, the prevalence of diabetes has increased by more than 60%. Almost one in two Mauritians aged from 25 to 74 is either diabetic or pre-diabetic. Green Island Rice promotes and facilitates rice farming in Mauritius. Now low GI long grain Green Island Rice will be sold in a supermarket near you from July 2012 (if you live in the USA, Europe and Australia).
  • Green Island Rice – GI 48, available carbs (per 1/3 cup cooked rice) 15g (1 diabetic exchange)
For more information you can check out their website HERE.

belVita


GI testing by an accredited laboratory North America
Dr Alexandra Jenkins
Glycemic Index Laboratories
20 Victoria Street, Suite 300
Toronto, Ontario M5C 298 Canada
Phone +1 416 861 0506
Email info@gilabs.com
Web www.gilabs.com

Australia
Fiona Atkinson
Research Manager, Sydney University Glycemic Index Research Service (SUGiRS)
Human Nutrition Unit, School of Molecular and Microbial Biosciences
Sydney University
NSW 2006 Australia
Phone + 61 2 9351 6018
Fax: + 61 2 9351 6022
Email sugirs@mmb.usyd.edu.au
Web www.glycemicindex.com